Platform as a Service (also known as PaaS) is a subset of Cloud Computing services that is a Platform that gives its users an area to develop, manage and run/execute their software and applications without having to build their own computing and network infrastructure to handle their service or application.
Types of Platform as a Service:
There are several ways PaaS can be delivered and we’ll go over some of them below:
- Privately – This is usually deployed behind a firewall as a Service (software or as an appliance)
- Publicly – A Provider of Cloud services and infrastructure will provision a Publicly available platform where users can control and manage the Software deployment (usually with little configuration and control options). These Service Providers will also supply the Servers, Storage, OS, Network, Databases and any other necessary technology needed by the customer to enable them to develop and host their applications on their Cloud Platform.
- Hybrid Setup (Public Infrastructure as a Service )
Benefits of PaaS
Some of the main benefits and advantages of using a Platform-as-a-Service include:
- Overall Security is Handled by the Provider
- Built-In Network Monitoring & Management from NOC Teams of Provider
- Reduced Upfront Costs
- Reduced Complexity
- Scalability of Infrastructure to Meet future Demands and Growth
- Lower Maintenance Costs (Servers, Networks and Software
Disadvantages of Platfrom-as-a-Service
As with any comparison, you’ll need to look at the downsides as well as the upside to every postive.
In the case of using a PaaS for your development platform, some disadvantages include:
- Increasing Price when Scaling
- Custom Features are Lacking
- Control is Diminished as Platform is not in-house
- Lack of Control over Traffic Routing Systems
Best PaaS Providers & Companies:
Overall, if your looking for some of the Best PaaS Companies & provides, we’ve included a List of these Cloud based PaaS below: